Saturday, February 1, 2014

Covenant Marriage (Genesis 24-29)


Covenant Marriage

Genesis 24, 27:46, 28:1-2, 29:1-30. Marriage in the Covenant

a.       Read Genesis 24:1-4 and describe in writing the concern Abraham had about his sons. Then read Deuteronomy 7:1-4; 1 Corinthians 11:11; 2 Corinthians 6:14; and the Points to Ponder section in the Institute Student Manual (pg. 90). What additional insights do you find that added to Abraham’s concern? What are the consequences of marrying outside the covenant? Why would these still be concerns today?
Abraham was worried about his son, Isaac, marrying a daughter of the Canaanites.  He wanted Isaac to go to his native land and marry a daughter of his kindred there.  Abraham must have foreseen, when the Lord showed him the whole earth, that the Canaanite people were going to become a wicked people and the Lord was going to destroy them for that.  If Isaac would have married a Canaanite, there was a strong possibility that he could have been dragged down with the wickedness which his wife would have most likely succumbed to.  I also realized that the Canaanites must not have been part of the covenant people.  So, just like today, it is very important to marry in the covenant.  If you don’t, you are taking a huge risk in deed.  In fact, Brigham Young says you will lose your crown.



On top of that we learn in the student manual that “Isaac was a peaceful man, according to the record, choosing to move on and dig new wells rather than fight for the ones he had already dug.” (Old Testament Student Manual pg. 91)  This tells me that if he would have made a poor choice in marriage, he may not have been strong enough to be faithful by himself.

b.      From Genesis 24:15-67, make a list of character traits Rebekah had that would be desirable in a wife or husband. Record the verse number where you found each attribute.
1.       She was of the covenant people, v. 15

2.       She was fair and a virgin, v. 16

3.       Humble, quick to serve and a hard worker, v. 18-20

4.       Responsible, v. 28

5.       She had good family relationships, v. 29

6.       Strong faith, v. 57-58

c.       What concern did Isaac and Rebekah have for Jacob in Genesis 27:46; 28:1-4?
Isaac and Rebekah were also concerned that Jacob would marry out of the covenant.  Therefore they sent him to the land where his mother’s father dwelt to find a wife, a wife that would be of the covenant.  Isaac has learned this, probably because this is what his father did for him.  Amazing that Rebekah thought her life would be no good if Isaac married out of the covenant.


d.      Read Genesis 29:1-30. What was Jacob willing to do to marry Rachel? Write a paragraph discussing what you are willing to do to be worthy to marry within the covenant.
Jacob was willing to serve Rachel’s father for seven years in order to obtain her hand in marriage.  Oddly he ended up serving for 14 years because Laban (Rachel’s father) gave Jacob his oldest daughter to marriage first.



I was willing to do a lot to marry within the covenant.  I remember making a commitment that I was not going to date/ marry anyone outside of the covenant.  I can remember this being difficult before I found my wife.  The day I returned home from my mission I was contacted by a non-member who was a former girlfriend.  I never returned her call.  Months later when I was having trouble finding someone suitable to date, I began to talk to and be flirtatious with girls I met at school, who were not members of the church.  I quickly realized this and cut all ties.  Soon thereafter I found my wife.  Funny, I knew she was the one when I first saw her.  I had to pursue her and we subsequently were married.


No comments:

Post a Comment